The Revolution Has Begun
"Look on the bright side. If this is the best they've got around here, in six months we'll be running this planet."
Planet of the Apes (1968)
Last weekend hundreds of thousands of people gathered in ten spots around the globe for a series of free concerts meant to persuade world leaders to give more money to fight poverty in Africa. The idea for the concerts was conceived in May and hastily organized by Bob Geldof. Within two months the former Boomtown Rat was able to convince dozens of actors, musicians, and politicians to join in forming LIVE8, "the largest mandate for action in history."
Unlike most benefit concerts, though, Live8 won’t be raising a dime to actually end poverty. As the web site notes, “LIVE 8 is calling for people across the world to unite in one call – in 2005 it is your voice we are after, not your money.” Geldolf says the event is intended to raise consciousness and exert political pressure on the G8 summiteers.
According to the New York Times, the concerts included more than 200 musical acts scheduled to play more than 69 hours of music. Organizers said 5.5 billion people would be able to watch or listen on the Internet and more than 182 television stations and 2,000 radio networks and stations. Coldplay’s Chris Martin called the concerts "the greatest thing that's ever been organized, probably, in the history of the world."
The greatest thing that's ever been organized (probably) in the history of the world?
Hmm, sounds like a challenge. Well, Mr. Paltrow, the blogosphere accepts. The greatest thing that ever been organized – probably -- in the history of the world will occur in the blogosphere. By linking blogs we shall create a revolution in consciousness raising. We shall raise our consciousness higher than has ever been attempted before. And once our collective consciousnesses have reached stratospheric levels, the G8 will have no choice but to consent to our demands.
Here is how you can participate in the greatest thing that has ever been organized – probably – in the history of the world:
1. Raise your consciousness.
2. Show others that you have raised your consciousness by linking to this post and displaying the Official Logo of LotR on your blog (see above).
3. Tell the world exactly what it is you are raising your consciousness about (it can be anything you want).
4. Use your raised consciousness to exert political pressure on the G8 summiteers.
5. Feel good about having participated in an action that, while not having actually affected anything, has allowed you to be part of the greatest thing that ever been organized – probably -- in the history of the world.
As Geldolf said, "Something must be done, even if it doesn't work." By participating in the Linkers of the Revolution event, you can do something. It won’t work, of course, but that doesn’t matter. Something must be done. And this is, technically speaking, something.
Viva la Revolution!
* Che Gorilla is the official trademark of the Linkers of the Revolution movement.
Purchase Official Linkers of the Revolution gear from CafePress. All proceeds go toward ending (my) poverty.